Bangkok is among the top cities globally for acquiring tailor-made clothing. From tailor-made suits to shirts, overcoats and chinos, the city is famous for its skilled tailors who can create high-quality garments at affordable prices. However, with so many options available, it can be challenging to choose the right custom tailor in Bangkok for your needs. In this blog, we will discuss some tips on how to choose the best tailor in Bangkok.
One of the essential aspects to consider when choosing a tailor in Bangkok is the quality of the fabrics they use. Look for tailors that offer a wide range of fabrics, including high-quality materials such as wool, cotton, and linen. When it comes to tailor-made clothes, compromising on quality is not recommended as they are intended to be long-term investments for your personal wardrobe.
- Cotton: A breathable, lightweight, and comfortable fabric that is perfect for hot and humid weather. Commonly used for shirts, pants, and casual wear.
- Linen: A lightweight and breathable fabric that is perfect for hot and humid weather. It has a natural texture and drapes well, making it a popular choice for casual shirts, pants, and suits.
- Wool: A durable and versatile fabric used for a wide range of garments. It is a popular choice for suits, jackets, and overcoats, as it provides warmth and insulation.
Bangkok is a sprawling city, so it’s crucial to look for tailors that are located in central areas such as Sukhumvit or Siam. These areas are bustling with activity and offer a range of shopping, dining, and entertainment options, making them ideal for combining your trip to the tailor with other activities. They are also easily accessible by the city’s public transport systems (BTS or MRT).
Choosing a centrally-located tailor will save you time and hassle when you visit the tailor for fittings or to pick up your garment. If you are staying away from the city center, you can also consider tailors that offer pick-up and delivery services. Bangkok tailors offer this service to their customers, so you can have your measurements taken at your hotel or residence, and the tailor will deliver the finished garment to you.
The prices of tailor-made products can vary depending on several factors such as the quality of fabrics, the complexity of the garment, and the experience and skill level of the tailor. In Bangkok, tailor-made clothing is generally more affordable than in many other countries, which is one reason why the city has become a popular destination for custom tailoring.
Look for tailors that offer transparent pricing of the garment, whether it be through text, call or email. As a general guide, a bespoke men’s shirt in Bangkok can cost you anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 THB ($30 to $90 USD), while a tailor-made suit can range from 7,000 to 17,000 THB ($200 to $500 USD) or more, depending on the fabric quality.
4. Time to Completion
Look for tailors that provide you with a realistic estimate of the wait time and are transparent about any delays that may occur. Some tailors may offer an express service for customers who need their garments completed quickly, however, remember to notify them beforehand.
Simple garments such as shirts or trousers are usually completed within 2-3 working days. This includes time for the tailor to take measurements and complete the sewing and fitting process.
For more complex garments such as suits, blazers, or overcoats, the turnaround time can range from 4-7 working days or more. This is because these garments require multiple fittings to ensure a perfect fit and may involve additional work such as hand-stitching or embroidery.
It’s important to keep in mind that achieving the perfect fit for your outfit will require multiple fittings with your tailor.
5. Style Advice
Tailors in Bangkok are known for their expertise in creating custom-made garments that not only fit perfectly but also complement the customer’s individual style and preferences.
A good tailor will typically offer a consultation to discuss your requirements and provide advice on the style and design of your garment, whilst taking your budget into consideration. This may include recommendations on the fabric, color, pattern, and style of the garment, based on your body type, and personal style.
During your consultation, expect the tailor to take measurements and ask you questions about other preferences and even provide suggestions on smaller details such as buttons, collars, cuffs, and pockets, to ensure that your outfit is tailored to your exact specifications.
6. Do Your Research
Doing your research is an essential step in finding the right tailor in Bangkok. With so many options available, it can be challenging to know where to start. Here are some tips to help you research and narrow down your options:
- Check Online Reviews: The internet is an excellent resource for finding reviews and feedback from previous customers. Start by searching for custom tailors in Bangkok and read the reviews and ratings from different websites such as Google or TripAdvisor. Pay attention to comments about the quality of the tailoring, the level of customer service, and the overall experience.
- Look for Social Proof: Social media is another great platform for finding recommendations and reviews from previous customers. Search for tailors on Facebook or Instagram and check out their profiles to see photos of their work and customer reviews.
- Ask for Recommendations: Word of mouth is still one of the most effective ways to find a good tailor. Ask friends, family, or colleagues who have had tailor-made clothing made in Bangkok for their recommendations. They may be able to provide valuable insights and help you find a reputable tailor.
Following the tips listed above can increase your chances of finding the best tailor in Bangkok who can provide you with high-quality garments that fit you perfectly, at a reasonable price.
Should you desire a truly exceptional tailoring experience while purchasing your new custom-made clothing, we invite you to visit President Tailors and consult with our skilled tailors and style advisors. Our shop is only a brief 5-minute stroll from the BTS Nana station in central Bangkok.